Declared a monument in 2004, bridge 404 was designed in 1917 in the style and views of the Amsterdam School, by architect Piet Kramer. It was built the year of the Amsterdam Olympics (1928).
The four little houses at the corners of the bridge were designed as shops.
Sculptor Hildo Krop made four spherical sculptures for the crowns of the abutment of this bridge: a fish head protruding above the waves; a human head surrounded by stars and waves; a sea serpent (with a bouquet of flowers) in rippling water and a faun’s head up to the chin in rippling water.
This artwork is part of the Sunday Sculptures series that Stadscuratorium Amsterdam posts every Sunday on Instagram.